Thursday, October 2, 2008

October 2

The first of the two main events starts in a few minutes: the CHEMO!! Yes, gentle reader, 5 minutes of infusion of a poison that will kill off those bad plasma cells and also kill off my immune system and my hair and make me nauseous and inflame my throat lining. Otherwise it's pretty harmless. I'm sucking on ice chips and popsicles as a prelude because the colder the mouth during and after the infusion, the less the drug effects the mouth and the lesser will be the mouth sores next week. Only two minutes to go!! Anticipation is building!! Blood pressure check! Temperature check! Almost ready! 30 seconds to go!! Cool washclothes ready!! The nurse is fiddling with the switches...... HERE IT COMES!!! IT'S GOIN' IN!! So far no sensation.... now, maybe a teeny bit of light-headedness... the IV pump is beeping, too much resistance in lumen in the catheter, switching to a different lumen... first syringe done, onto the second... the described metallic taste is not developing... but getting hot on the sides of my head... feeling light-headed/dizzy.... like being stoned but without the dope... head is very hot, really weird! OK, it's over, head is cooling off, getting less dizzy. No nausea.
Whew, that was fun!
Now they're feeding me diuretics to make me pee out the drug.... what irony.

2 comments:

E said...

How long does this drug actually stay inside of you?

willko5 said...

It was nice of them to let you post to your blog during your chemo ;)

Followers

About Me

I am a very cool dude.