Sunday, October 5, 2008

October 5

I've temporarily escaped from the Big House, but only because they let me. Time off for good behavior. Since nothing much happens for a couple days after the transplant and I wasn't puking or feverish, they let me out on a weekend pass, provided I had a caregiver* with me at all times. So i took my creamed-corn b.o. out into the lovely autumn world (but it has passed by now). Wendy would have given care but she's come down with a cold/sore throat so she's staying away. Chanone and Kristyn took first shifts and tonight Cathy is looking looking after me. I don't feel that great; kind of a slight queasiness/stonedness and my appetite is down to 50% or less. The doc said that was probably was from the preservative that the stem cells come with. Just a little taste of things to come. Kristyn and I went for a walk along the river this morning and it was maybe the most beautiful day of what is probably the most beautiful fall I have ever seen in Calgary. Despite feeling a bit crappy I was so happy to be out there with the wind and leaves blowing over my face instead of in my hospital room.

*Let me tell you about my support system. I mean, I already knew I had good family and good friends and good students.... but the amount of support I am getting showered with is stupendous. My kids and Ma and brothers and niece and nephew and cousins, Wendy, present colleagues and friends and students, past students and Gallagher librarians, Grand Canyon alumni, book clubbers, Acme gang members. If I weren't the tough-as-nails, leather-skinned, gun-barrel-hard, honed-to-a-razor's-edge guy that I am, I would get kind of misty-eyed when I think about all the time Alicia is taking off to take care of me. I didn't know there was that much love out there in the world.

2 comments:

varveboy said...

JO - Your PG family is thinking of you and sending you pulpy vibes.
I'll see you Saturday evening/early Sunday morning.

Red said...

It is a honor to help out!

Followers

About Me

I am a very cool dude.