Monday, October 20, 2008

October 20

Had my meeting with the doc but I don’t know too much yet other than that I came through the chemo with flying colors. An evaluation of progress, with CT scans and perhaps another biopsy, won’t take place for another several weeks. Theoretically, my bone lesions will diminish and energy level will be back to more-or-less normal in a couple months. My counts are good for the time but I have to be careful for a pretty long time. I’m allowed to go back to fresh fruits and veggies at home if I’ve washed them or know who did, but it’s recommended that I avoid restaurants for 3 months, and buffets and potlucks for longer than that, no 7-11 slurpees or soft serve ice cream for a while, no gardening for a year (I’m supposed to avoid dirt…. but I’m a dirt geologist, how can I avoid dirt? Dirt is what I do!), no home renovations for a year, no new plants in the house for awhile, especially the Fungus-Spewing Fuchsia I saw at Home Depot.

My appetite is mostly back, I’m enjoying Alicia’s cooking, and furthermore Regina and Gemmie have brought over some delicious stuff. I’m in no danger of losing weight. Au contraire… Days are not overly exciting, but I still have more to do than I have time to do (which is not stopping me from nice afternoon naps), and the best part is the quality time I’m spending with my daughter. Got to see Will too; he was in for 3 days over the weekend and an epic Monopoly game ensued. My mother and brother arrive in 3 days. I may be getting empty-nest syndrome after everybody leaves. I just made that up about the fungus-spewing fuchsia.

Well, it’s time to wrap up this blog. Blogs…. I’m getting to be more and more like a 20-year-old all the time. I tried to avoid getting a cell phone but Wendy got me one anyway. Then once I had one my students taught me how to text-message; I’m the only guy I know of my generation that knows how to text-message (I even know “lol” and “brb” (but thank god (that little-known Navajo tree god) I’ve never used them; please shoot me if I do). And now a blog. What I need is to get away from all this technology and communication, and get off by myself somewhere on the rim of the Grand Canyon, sit down with my feet dangling into the abyss, with a thermos of lapsang souchong tea and a down jacket, and watch the sinking sun turn the buttes and temples to ochre and orange and siena and terra cotta (yes I can actually recognize those colours!), while a canyon wren sings, and sit there till the darkening sky turns to indigo, my favourite colour, and the first stars appear…. all the while marveling, but not at the twists and turns that life throws at us. Rather, I would marvel at the only reasonable conclusion that can be drawn when one looks at the big picture:…. that I have been, and still am, fortunate.

I love you all.

Jerry

1 comment:

Alicia Keats said...

I love you Papa Bear!

You are a such an amazing example of how to face this challenge straight on.I am so proud of how you have come through all of this with such strength, humility and humor.

"The best way out is always through" Robert Frost

I am looking forward to dangeling my feet beside you as twilight falls over the Canyon and listening for Brighty as he plays in the shadows...

Followers

About Me

I am a very cool dude.